Hello everyone! Here I will give you some tips and tricks to try out when you play Risk. If you have some of your own, post them here. Alright, lets get started!
I bet most of you already know how to do this, but I'll show it anyways. This form of gameplay takes patience. I will use the pick-your-territories rule for this.
1. Try to get Australia. Most people are smart enough to notice that your trying to get Australia, so some will nail you. That means that they will try to put a lot of armies in one territory of a continent you're trying to get so that you won't get a bonus. You can fool them, however, by placing infantry in random places like Brazil and Japan. Then at the last minute start placing infantry in Australia. If that doesn't work you could try to negotiate with the person who put their armies in Australia. Try to use a large vocabulary to confuse them, "Hey, you are putting armies in Australia to prevent me from getting the bonus right? Well, the bonus is only 2 armies so why don't you just move your armies out, okay?" If they say yes, awesome. If they don't, get a new strategy.
2. Set up your defenses. Use your bonus from your continent to add to your defenses. Make sure that you don't have any territories with two or more armies in the central area of Australia. There is only one border territory, Indonisia, so place all of your armies there.
3. Make alliances. Try to convince a few players to make an alliance with you. The player who has control of most of Asia would be your best bet. That way, your totally protected. If not, get the strongest player or the player who has control of most of Europe. If THAT doesn't work, try some propoganda. Like say, "Wow, it seems that (Whoever controls Asia goes here.) is a serious threat. He/she should be contained before he/she goes on a rampage. That might make the player who has most of South America to charge in. Maybe Europe, too. But of course Asia might retreat into your territory. That shouldn't really be much of a problem due to your strong defenses that you have been building up. But if you have been building up defenses on Indonisia, so of course Asia would try to counter it by adding reinforcements to Siam. If he/she does, say this or maybe something similar, "Hey, I have no good reason to attack you, right? So why don't we just move both of our armies away. There's no point in building up armies there if both of us arent't going to launch a massive invasion." If he/she says yes, move all of your armies but three or four (You can never be sure...) to a territory just behind it. Keep getting bonuses and adding them to your new wall. By now players have engaged in conflict. See where I'm getting? Nobody is attacking you either because they don't want to waste units on your massive wall or they don't find you as much of a threat.
4. Launch your assault. By now the other players have worn themselves down a bit. You should have about fifty or sixty armies on your wall if nobody has attacked you. It's time to start your assault. Do the very first part ONLY if you moved your wall back. Say something cool to the person that you agreed with to take your armies back. Like, "Sorry...But the deals off..." Move your wall to your old wall position. Of course Asia will too. Then, attack Siam with all of your armies in your wall. It's most likely that you will win with small loss due to the large number of armies you're using. Move all of your armies possible into Siam. Continue this pattern until you have conquered Asia. ONE COUNTRY AT A TIME PEOPLE!!! Remember to reinforce your front lines during your invasion on Asia.
5. Capture Europe. Now everyone is afraid of your wicked skills so they are going to set up defenses. Just stay put and make another wall covering the border countries of Asia. Wait a while until you have about fifty or sixty. Then charge Europe. Attack Ukaine first. Then go on one at a time until you have secured Europe. By now there should be some cowards who want to team up with you. Say no to all of them to make them scared and want to give up. They WILL set up HUGE defenses if you say no, though. Just ignore the massive army concentration at the border territories.
6. Move on to Africa. Use the same pattern as before. Build a wall, charge them. One country at a time. Now would be a good time to make a treaty with South America. Because he/she could come into Africa as well and mess up your plan with killer strength. He/She should say yes immediatly.Be sure not to let Europe out of the picture, too. North America could still invade you from Greenland. Continue building a wall there. Also don't forget Kamchata or however you spell it. Alaksa could come in from there. Build up a wall.
7. Secure South America. Once you have got control over Africa, build a wall at North Africa. Then, when you have about fifty, if you made an alliance with South America, call it off. It would be best to make an alliance right now so he/she won't build a wall.. For South America, run right through it. Start at Brazil, move down to Argentina, then stop. On your next turn, finish off South America.
8. Conqure North America and win the game. North America should have a lot of armies in Central America, Greenland, and Alaska by now. Make a wall at Iceland, Venesuala, and Kamchata or however you spell it. North America should have about sixty of seventy at the three borders. You get about eighty at the three borders. Remember not to have any more than one army in the non-border territories. Attack from both Iceland and Venesula. Move one territory at a time. First get the eastern section, then the western. You just won!